For more than 60 years, BDI has offered the airport industry a full selection of jet blast deflectors to protect sensitive areas from high velocity aircraft exhaust (jet blast). This experience also applies to aircraft revetments, which are also referred to as “blast walls.” For military air bases, these blast walls are robust structures designed protect both fixed-wing and rotary-wing aircraft along flight lines at forward operating bases. Typically, military aircraft are surrounded by revetments/blast walls on two or three sides to protect the aircraft within the cell, as well as other aircraft in the area. These structures are also used to protect infrastructure from terrorist attacks involving the use of explosives and/or speeding vehicles.
Aircraft Revetments | Anti-Ram Vehicle Barriers | Blast Mitigation Barriers
BDI blast walls are prefabricated steel wall units constructed from corrugated metal panels that are connected with stainless steel pins and formed into multiple-course assemblies of varying heights, thicknesses, and shapes. BDI blast walls are available in a variety of standard sizes with widths ranging from 3′ (1m) up to 8′ (2.5m) and heights of 6′ (2m) up to 16′ (5m). Custom sizes are also available upon request. BDI blast walls can be manufactured from a variety of materials including galvanized steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. BDI blast walls are also offered in a variety of paint schemes to accommodate architectural applications or operational requirements.
Isn’t a blast wall the same as a blast deflector?
No. A blast deflector is designed to deflect high-velocity exhaust created by aircraft engines. A blast wall, on the other hand, is designed to mitigate the effects of high-energy explosions. Click here to learn more about BDI’s line of blast deflectors.
Typical BLAST WALL Users:
- Military Air Fields/Bases
- Commercial Airports
- Border Security Operations
- Consulates/Embassies/High Commissions
- Government Buildings
- Industrial/Corporate Facilities
- Liquid Natural Gas Infrastructure
- Military Bases
- Oil & Gas Storage/Pipelines
- Chemical/Petrochemical Plants
- Public Water Supply Facilities
- Rail Terminals
- Other Critical Infrastructure
- Proven Blast Mitigation – Independent, full scale tests show 99% attenuation for a high-order detonation
- Anti-Ram Protection – Independent, full scale tests confirm compliance with USDOS K12/ASTM M50 certification
- Appearance – Aesthetically pleasing design that can be modified to suit site conditions
- Cost Efficient – Significantly less expensive (and far more effective) than concrete walls of comparable size
- Robust Design – Made from 16- and 18-gauge steel and engineered to withstand wind greater than 150mph/240kph
- Space Efficient – Compact footprint requires minimal space
- Ease of Installation – All tools, instructions, and hardware are shipped with each kit for quick installation
- Shipping Ease – Designed to be shipped via truck, rail, air or ocean
- Rapid Deployment Capability – Can be shipped on any standard 463L pallet, ideal for installation in forward areas
- Standard & Custom Sizes – Our engineering team can design a system suitable for any application